Friday, August 12, 2016

The Earliest Beatles LPs, Part 2

In "The Earliest Beatles LPs, Part 1" I talked about how the first Beatles LP in the U.S., Introducing the Beatles, was much like the first one in Britain, Please Please Me, except that two songs were missing: "Ask Me Why" and "Please Please Me."

Here's the song list from the British Please Please Me LP:

  1. I Saw Her Standing There
  2. Misery
  3. Anna (Go To Him)
  4. Chains
  5. Boys
  6. Ask Me Why
  7. Please Please Me
  8. Love Me Do
  9. PS I Love You
  10. Baby It's You
  11. Do You Want To Know A Secret
  12. A Taste Of Honey
  13. There's A Place
  14. Twist And Shout

The U.S. Introducing the Beatles LP was released by a relatively obscure label, Vee-Jay. But every LP after that was released by Capitol records ... until, that is, the Beatles created their own label, Apple.

In 1965, Capitol played catch-up by issuing a "new" album called The Early Beatles.



Its track list:

  1. Love Me Do
  2. Twist And Shout
  3. Anna (Go To Him)
  4. Chains
  5. Boys
  6. Ask Me Why
  7. Please Please Me
  8. PS I Love You
  9. Baby It's You
  10. A Taste Of Honey
  11. Do You Want To Know A Secret

So 11 of the 14 songs on Britain's Please Please Me were finally present and accounted for on a Capitol LP. The missing ones: "I Saw Her Standing There," "Misery," and "There's A Place."

"I Saw Her Standing There" had by that time been inserted onto the Capitol LP Meet the Beatles, which was the second Capitol album issued here, and was based on the second British LP, With the Beatles. As far as I can tell, "Misery" was never released on a Capitol LP. Nor was "There's A Place."

I'd love to know why Capitol and Vee-Jay didn't simply issue the original British LPs intact! Does anybody know?

Anyway, I was oblivious to such niceties back in the day. One had to carry around a mental catalog of Beatles songs in one's head to be able to figure out which were not showing up on LPs here in America! I know that now, but I didn't know it then ...




No comments:

Post a Comment